Monday, September 26, 2005

The First Glass of Beer

There I was, sitting in a lounge bar, for the first time, and having a beer, also for the first time. I would have refused under normal circumstances, but the atmosphere was right(dark with heavy disco music playing, also filled with a smell of cigrette smoke), and my brother was offering me a glass upfront. Well, what did I have to lose? After all, I am an engineering student now, and engineering is never complete without learning how to digest beer, right? So, I went for it.

My bro went to get a cigrette pack before the beer arrived, he sid that beer ain't complete without cigs. And so the beer arrived while he was gone. I was happy for the darkness, for the expression on my face was one of nervousness, and I didn't want the waiter to see that. Then the beer was poured and the waiter was gone, and I was left alone with two full glasses of beer in front of me. Beer looks really tempting and delicious when its just been poured into the glass. The colour is golden, and there is a light froth floating on the top. But this feeling lasts only as long as the beer is untouched and in the glass... the moment you put it to your lips, you realise what it really is -> rotten carbohydrates. Once again I was thankful for the darkness, for this time the expression on my face was one of disgust and nausea, and it would have exposed the fact that I was drinking for the first time. Well, not exactly the first time, I've had wine before, but wine's kind of light and good tasting(certainly better tasting than beer), also its called a ladies' drink. Beer, on the other hand tastes rotten, as mentioned above, and I've seen it being drunk mostly by men. And so, I had to prove I was man.

My brother arrived with a pack of cigrettes, and now I was burdened with the task of drinking the beer with a straight face. I gazed around for sometime, munching on the few munchies that came with the drink(probably to drown the taste of beer). And then the dreaded moment arrived, my bother picked up his glass, and motioned for "cheers". I had to do the same, and so I did, and put the glass to my lips for the second time in the evening, and sipped. The same rotten taste filled me, but it wasn't so bad this time. In fact, I eventually managed to finish 3/4th of the glass, by having huge amounts of snacks between each sip, each of which was accompanied by a grimace. My borther had finished his glass by then and was watching me with a grin, maybe he knew of my plight. I finally couldn't bring myself to drown anymore of the vile liquid down my throat, and offered him the remainder of my drink. He accepted it and drowned it in two gulps. I watched him, somewhat wide-eyed. He probably had lost his taste buds in an accident which none of us knew about, else how could he have drunk that vile tasting fluid?

Well, the ordeal was finally over, and I smsed all my friends proudly "Chotte, aaj beer maara... bahut mazaa aaya!"

2 Comments:

Blogger zxcv said...

saale saara blame brother par? khud kuch nahi. maharaj harish chandra, kewal meri marwani hai kya?

8:37 PM  
Blogger dawg said...

abe tumhe kahan marwa rahe hain? tumhara to naam bhi nahi hai... tumne khud hi bhanda phod diya

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home